By: MIASF Staff
Date posted: Jun 29, 2021 Tue
MIASF Member Connect
MIASF is excited to announce the return of monthly in-person member networking events! Join us for our first Member Connect event at Frank & Jimmie’s Propeller at 5:00pm on Thursday, July 15th. Click here to RSVP; we hope to see you there!
USCG Boat America Course
On Saturday, July 10th the US Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 3-8 will host their Boat America boating safety course at the MIASF office from 8:30am to 5:00pm. This class meets the FWC 8 hour requirements and is limited to 12 students. Check in starts at 8am and lunch is provided. The cost of the course is $50; register by July 8th online at http://wow.uscgaux.info/content.php?unit=070-03-08&category=custom.
• Introduction to Boating – Types of power boats, boating vocabulary, sailboats, paddle boats, powering boats, and engine types.
• Boating Law – Boat registration, regulations, hull identification numbers, required safety equipment, Federal boating law, state boating law, and reporting accidents.
• Safety Equipment – Life jackets, fire extinguishers, sound-producing devices, visual distress signals, anchors, and other safety equipment.
• Safe Operation and Navigation – Buoys and beacons, aids to navigation, navigation rules, docking, and the dangers of alcohol on the water.
• Boating Emergencies – Hypothermia, boating accidents, man overboard, capsizing, emergency radio calls, carbon monoxide dangers, and weather.
• Trailering – Types of trailers, lights, hitches, towing a trailer.
• Sports and Boating – Water-skiing, hunting and hunting gear, PWC operation, and other boating tips.