Faces in the Industry: Julie Berry
By: MIASF Staff
Date posted: Apr 28, 2021 Wed
Tell us where you are from, what brought you to Florida, and how long you’ve lived here.
I was born in Fort Lauderdale, moved to Massachusetts as a kid and spent summers at the Cape, then moved to Long Island, New York for Junior High and High School. I have always been around the ocean and came to Florida to attend college to be near family and a warm ocean.
Where do you work, what is your job title, and what does your job entail?
I am heading up the Marina Group at CBRE. My job title is Senior Vice President | CBRE Capital Markets | The Marina Group. I exclusively represent buyers and sellers of marinas and boatyard/yacht repair facilities. Our goal is to bring buyers to sellers who are dedicated to the marine industry and will bring the marine property to the next level. This is important as a foundation to support the huge economic impact that the marine industry has in South Florida and to support the marine businesses and employees who live off these facilities.
How did you initially become interested in the marine industry?
I come from a corporate office leasing and investment sales background. While working on a portfolio of properties that included a marina, I was attracted to the marina and all of aspects of knowledge required to complete a transaction and dealing with people in the marine industry, there is a lot of passion. It wasn’t like that working with owners of office buildings. I have developed incredible friendships in the marine industry and I love what I do.
What is your favorite or most valuable benefit of membership in MIASF?
FLIBS is number one. The impact on the marine industry and hospitality as well as exposure for our area is second to none. The fact that we own it is incredible. A close second is the advocacy efforts. MIASF battles to advocate for the businesses, yacht and boat owners, waterway access, and more. Also important is the effort related to educating our youth and seeking internships to build a skilled trade base for our businesses.
Describe any other community organizations or events with which you are involved.
· Boys and Girls Clubs of Broward County Board member: serving on the Yacht Rendezvous committee which raises over $1 million to help fund the 12,000 kids attending clubs in Broward County.
· MIASF Board member: currently on the board membership support team and the long term vision team.
· Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance Board member: serving on the Governor’s Council and the International Action Team
· Port Everglades Action Team: Advocacy group to support growth and expansion at Port Everglades
· Seafarer’s House Board Member– providing support to the seafarers - the men and women who serve on cargo, cruise and other ships and are out to sea for months at a time
· Children’s Diagnostic Treatment Center Transformer: Committee to raise funds to support the efforts of this organization in providing services to youth with special health care needs.
Tell us about your hobbies and the kinds of things you do for fun.
I recently traveled to Paris, Germany and Italy with my son and brother and I want to travel much more. Closer to home, spending time in the Bahamas is a source of relaxation and a great getaway. For hobbies, I love boating, wakeboarding, scuba diving, anything that involves the ocean and water and playing with my Golden Retrievers!