Winning boat in billfish tourney catches 5 sailfish March 24, 2016
The Fort Lauderdale Billfish Tournament, which is in its 51st year and owned by MIASF, was held on Saturday, February 27 at Bahia Mar Marina and benefited the Marine Industry Cares Foundation and Billfish Foundation. The tournament kicked off with a captain’s dinner on Thursday, Feb. 25 and culminated with an awards brunch sponsored by the Miami Marlins on Sunday, Feb. 28, both at Bahia Mar also.
It featured a Pro Division for professional anglers and a family fun division for amateur anglers. Here are the winners:
- First place in the Pro Division went to La Berraquera, which caught 5 sailfish. La Berraquera also won the Billfish All-In division, angler Jose Perdomo was the Top Male Angler, and Mario Scarpetta Jr. won the Top Junior Angler. La Berraquera also caught the biggest blackfin tuna (14.8 lbs.).
- Lucky Catch won 2nd place in the Pro Division.
- Bad to the Bone won the Family Fun Division.
- Cob Too, which entered the Pro Division, was the winner of the Fun Fish Big Fish Division, with the biggest wahoo at 24.4 lbs., and also won 2nd place in the Fun Fish Aggregate Division.
- Nearly Impossible won 1st place in the Fun Fish Aggregate and caught the biggest kingfish (14.4 lbs.)
“We had strong enthusiasm from all of the teams that participated,” said Gordon Connell, tournament director and executive director of the Marine Industry Cares Foundation. “They’re all excited to come back next year, and we’re looking forward to making it bigger and better for both the family fun and pro anglers who want to compete.”
Sponsors also included RPM Diesel Engine Co., Advanced Mechanical Enterprises, Denison Yacht Sales and Bahia Mar Marina. For more information, visit www.fortlauderdalebillfishtournament.com.