Holiday Wishes – Celebrating a Growth Year December 18, 2014
Heading into the final days of an encouraging year for the MIASF and marine industry overall, it’s a good time to count our advancements, analyze how we may have done better and inventory the voyage ahead. It’s also a good time to wish everyone warm Season’s Greetings to those who have helped the industry achieve its goals and aspirations.
Probably the best gift received by the industry was a positive boating and yachting atmosphere made better by groundwork laid over years leading to it – and some of those were pretty lean. The culmination of that journey, the recent Fort Lauderdale Boat Show, was carefully positioned to capitalize on the upward tide.
A number of good things came together at FLIBS:
- Growing focus on the importance of marine industry jobs in the region with the Convention Center Job Fair.
- Report on growth through the latest economic impact data showing job creation and revenues for the Tri-County Marine industrty.
- A new emphasis on international trade and travel with the inaugural International Luncheon; providing the stage for local and global business leaders to share what they view as opportunities between their businesses and yachting and boating.
Throughout 2014, plans and efforts to keep the marine industry promoted and protected were undertaken. Beyond improving communication to members and the region’s media, and rebuilding the www.MIASF.org website for all to access as a useful resource, Association volunteers and staff kept the industry in the spotlight. Among the highlights:
- Keeping the marine industry engaged and “at the table” with all the various issues tied to the All Aboard Florida rail expansion proposal.
- Working with local schools and colleges to spread interest in marine jobs and provide training to help those interested be better prepared.
- Protecting jobs, workers and marine employers as in the amending of Longshore legislation crafted last summer.
- Helping local communities improve their quality of life or supporting those in need.
There is much more, reflective of the diverse and vibrant entity described as the Southeast Florida marine industry. Growth is achieved through the dedication of time, service and vision in driving industry efforts for the good of our communities, the marine industry and the lifestyle surrounding boating. To all the volunteers and supporters, thank you!