From the president: Association’s members source of pride October 23, 2015
Welcome to the beginning of the 2015 yachting season in South Florida! We all are feverishly preparing for the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show, which this year will prove to be second to none. FLIBS is the marine industry’s hallmark and we are proud to have created it and cultivated it into the coveted boat show globally it is. We have exhibitors attending from across the globe to sell items from fishing waiters to Ferraris to a Bell helicopters to skiffs to submarines to large vessels. Whatever marine products you desire to consume, we are confident that you will be able to get it at FLIBS. This year, together with our partners at Show Management, we have rebranded FLIBS’ look, added a VIP experience through QuintEvents and implemented a texting program for the receipt of FLIBS specials through the show. (By texting the code “FLIBS15” to 55778, attendees will begin receiving helpful news including reminders about special events, seminars, discounts on tickets, specials in the cocktail bars, parking, and much more.)
Although FLIBS is our centerpiece, our riches come from the diversity of our members. Due to our membership support, MIASF has been able to champion issues to preserve our South Florida marine industry, support our industry which produces billions of dollars in revenue a year and create hundreds of thousands of jobs. So, during this yachting season when you are talking to your colleague, friend, business contact or client, ask them if they are a member of MIASF, and if they say “no,” then say “you’re not!?!” with the matching high pitched vocal tone and look of shock and awe on your face. Then allow me to give you the fuel to inspire them to join.
- Since 1961, MIASF has advocated at local, state, and federal levels regarding issues and regulations affecting the marine industry.
- Joining MIASF provides you with a voice on the important issues and creates avenues for collaborating for solutions that benefit the community at large.
- MIASF provides you communication on current and important issues that directly affect the marine industry.
- MIASF is the global marine industry voice dedicated to ethical and professional behavior.
- MIASF’s lateral partnerships with the Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance, Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention and Visitors Bureau, Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce, Broward Workshop, Habitat for Humanity of Broward, and Mission United afford members an opportunity to build a better community and connect with lateral leaders in our community.
- The MIASF member meetings and socials offer formal and informal business settings supporting opportunity, collaboration, and relationship building.
- MIASF, through the charitable donations given by MICF, creates opportunity for children, supports those in need and helps build a better community.
- MIASF’s lobbying efforts helped pass the Florida sales tax cap on vessel purchases and now yard refits.
- MIASF conducts studies that help enlighten the community on the economic impact of the marine industry; which then creates strategic business and politic relationships to help us preserve our industry.
MIASF is a member-driven organization and your membership empowers us to protect, harvest and enrich our South Florida marine industry. South Florida is the yachting capital of the world, so help us forever maintain this honor. I wish each of our members the best ever yachting season and FLIBS experience.
President of MIASF